MANUSCRIPT ASSESSMENT PROCEDURES
Manuscripts will follow the following process:
1. The manuscript is submitted on the ScholarOne platform.
2. Reception. The editorial office verifies the payment of the submission fee classifies the manuscript according to the study type and forwards it for pre-analysis.
3. Pre-analysis. The editor-in-chief and the submission editors evaluate the manuscript in order to identify its contribution to the body of knowledge, its advance on practice, teaching and/or research in nursing and health, the methodological and structural quality of the text and the compliance with the journal’s editorial policy. No refund is admitted in case the manuscript is rejected during the pre-analysis.
4. Checklist. After the pre-analysis, the editorial office checks all documents forwarded during the online submission and the manuscript’s compliance with the publication standards (this checklist is available in the webpage of the Journal). In case of non-compliance, the manuscript is returned to the corresponding author for adjustments. After the checklist phase, no more than two return submissions are accepted. In case the deadlines and recommendations are not complied with after this period, the manuscript is rejected.
5. Ad hoc review. When submitting the manuscript, the authors should suggest potential reviewers (name, e-mail, institution) that they consider to fit to evaluate the manuscript. Suggestions should not be from the same institution and city of origin of the author, in order to avoid conflicts of interest. After the checklist phase, the manuscript returns to the submission editors, who select the reviewers according to the activity area and theme. Then, the manuscript is forwarded to the ad hoc reviewers. Two reviewers from different regions and institutions are selected to assess the manuscript. The reviewers are invited through the ScholarOne system and, if they accept, they receive the copy of the manuscript, the analysis tool and the link to access the system. The review is blinded for the authors and institutions of origin, as well as for the consultants
6. Preliminary opinion. After the two ad hoc reviewers return the manuscript, the selection editors and the editor-in-chief assess their opinions and proceed through one of the possible alternatives:
Third reviewer. If one of the reviewers indicates the manuscript for publication and the other rejects it, the submission editors select a third reviewer, who opines on its publication or not;
Rejection. If the two reviewers agree in reject the manuscript, the authors receive a letter explaining the decision, together with the ad hoc consultants’ opinions;
Indication for revision. If the manuscript receives two approvals, the selection editors proceed with the review, considering the relevance of criticism and any other problems the reviewers may not have detected. After this initial evaluation and indication of continuity of the evaluation process, the text is verified in terms of its authenticity, applying the cross check software. If a high percentage of similarity is detected with other publications (over 30%), the manuscript might be rejected by the journal and returned to the authors. In case of acceptance, the authors will receive an e-mail to explain the adaptations needed to proceed with the publication process, together with the opinions and a copy of the manuscript, in case any marks have been made in the original text. The authors should only make the corrections requested and highlight them in blue and send the manuscript to the journal. A maximum of three return revisions is accepted to comply with the requirements for publication. If the authors do not attend to the requested, the manuscript is rejected.
Indication of acceptance for publication
After the selection editors have indicated the acceptance of the manuscript for publication, the librarian of Texto & Contexto Enfermagem analyzes all manuscripts selected for publication, verifying full compliance with the journal and bibliographic reference standards.
7. Text and Layout. The text and layout editors and the editor-in-chief analyze the manuscripts selected for publication and assess the quality of the final version of each manuscript. In this phase, even if previously approved, corrections and further clarifications may still be requested from the authors. Depending on the gravity of the detected problems, the manuscript could be rejected.
8. Composition of the issue. After the text and layout phase, the Board of Directors analyzes the manuscripts indicated for publication and selects the titles to be included in each new issue.
9. Publication fee. After the indication by the Board of Directors, the authors receive a letter that indicates the final approval (in print), together with the orientations to pay the publication fee and have the manuscript translated.
10. Translation. Texto & Contexto Enfermagem presents a group of accredited translators, fully qualified, whose names are forwarded to the corresponding author. That author is responsible for selecting the translator responsible for providing the English translation of the final version approved. The translators are responsible for forwarding the translated version to the journal with the authors’ approval.
11. Issue Release: After the text and layout stage, the indicated manuscripts for publication are analyzed by the Board of Directors, which selects those who will compose each new issue.
12. Publication. After the journal has received the English version of the manuscript, properly verified by the authors, the text and layout editors review the text and forward it for final formatting, tagging and publication in SciELO.